Still connecting to internet via that messy wire across the home, Its time to go wireless by getting a new WiFi router. Everyone is aware of WiFi now days, and it’s free on lot of railway station in India (Thanks to Indian Railways!). However, at home connecting to internet via ADSL cable running around the home is messy and restricts the mobility of laptop inside home so having a WiFi in home is must these days as we have more than one devices now which needs internet connection like smartphone, tablets, smart TV’s, Laptops, eReader etc. But finding a best WiFi router with all required features is not an easy tasks as those highly complicated technical specification of routers will put you to sleep and we might end up buying a router which will not work with our ADSL internet connection. So this buying guide will help you to understand routers better and will help you find best routers available in India.
What is Router?
Router is a networking device that links laptop/computers to the internet. It forwards the data packets between computers and network. Router is used to connect the devices locally over local area network or LAN. Do not get confused with modem, router and modem are two different devices and some devices comes with both functionality and called as router cum modem.
What is Modem?
Modem stands for modulator-demodulator. It’s networking device which connects your router or computer to internet service providers network /broadband network.
Do I need modem or router or both?
It depends on type of internet line by your service provider. If its ADSL then yes you would need both ADSL Modem and router to share your internet connection with different devices in your home. Generally it’s provided by your service provider on rental basis or you can buy your own by consulting your provider on which modem would be bet for their network.
If its cable broadband, then you won’t need to purchase a cable modem separately. It will be installed by your cable internet t service provider on your terrace or common points from where a cable will be connected to your home, Which you can directly plug into your laptop/desktop and access internet or can plug it int your WiFi router to create a personal WiFI network at your home. However do check this with your cable internet service provider.
Should I buy ‘b’,’g’ or ‘n’ type of router?
These letters relates to wireless communication standards on which the router is based. ‘b’ stands for first generation of wireless routers and its old technology. ‘g’ & ‘n’ are newer with ‘n’ being newest. It’s always safe to buy ‘n’ type router which offers newest wireless standards, high speed and wider range.
Top 5 Best Selling Wireless Routers in India
Points to keep in mind while buying wireless router.
- Go for latest ‘n’ type wireless router as they are are the newest generation router with ‘b’ being oldest and ‘g’ is before ‘n’ type.
- Dual band or single band? wireless routers comes in two frequency band 2.4GHz & 5 .0 GHz. Most of the devices like smartphone, laptops etc supports 2.5GHz and its more general frequency band so all basic router would support this band. However if you want to use network streaming then you might want to go for dual band so that you can use 2.4GHz for browsing and 5.0GHz for streaming etc.
- Determine if you will be using USB port of router to attach external hard drive to create network storage etc. If yes USB port is must otherwise it optional. You can also use USB port to attach printer to it create network printer.
- Check the coverage range of WiFi router, make sure it offers the coverage range which would cover your entire home.
- Security features must checked, It should WPA/WPA2 and other encryption feature. you should be able to hide the SSID to. Determine what level of security features you will need and check it against router specification.
Other top selling wireless router in India for home WiFi.
|Tenda N301||* Easy setup|
*2 external antenna
*Push button WPS
|TP-Link TL-WR740N||*IP based bandwidth control|
*Push QSS button
|Netgear WNR614||*300mbps WiFi speed|
*All required basic security features.
*External antenna for wider range.
|D-Link DIR-615||*Super easy setup|
*Easy security features setup
Things to do to make your wireless WiFi network secure.
It’s absolutely necessary to make sure that your home WiFI network is secured so that no one can log in and use your network without knowing you. You never know for what purpose they will use your WiFi internet and you might be in trouble if your IP is traced. SO it’s better to do basic security settings to make sure it’s safe.
- Never share you WiFi password with your neighbors or a person you cannot trust.
- If possible hide the SSID so it does not show up on others peoples devices as available WiFi network lists.
- Always change the SSID name to something unique to you. Default SSID reveal the brand and make of router and it’s easy for a hacker to hack in you WiFi if they know the brand of router so change the default SSID.
- Some of the router’s will have hardware firewall. Make sure it’s switched on. Generally its disabled by default.
- Enable wireless MAC filter, so that devices you own or your home devices can only connect. Though it’s a time consuming job to enter a MAC in wireless router when new device wants to connect but it’s good from safety point of view.
- Monitor your network to find if any unknown device is connected to your WiFI network.